<b style= "color: red;font-weight:bold,">NEW</b>      ROBERT MORGAN and ROBIN OLDS<br>  Signature Ensemble
Signature Ensemble
Item# romoandroole
Select From: 

Product Description

<b style= "color: red;font-weight:bold,">NEW</b>      ROBERT MORGAN and ROBIN OLDS<br>  Signature Ensemble

Matted Unfremed Ensemble: $164.81
Silver Framed Ensemble: $204.30
Gun-Metal Framed Ensemble: $204.30

(Overall size 17½” x 13½”

Platinum Edition

Bob Morgan, possibly the best known B-17 Fortress pilot of WWII, flew the legendary B-17 “Memphis Belle” on every bombing mission in Europe. He is joined by one of the USAAF’s great Fighter escort pilots in WWII, Robin Olds, to create a totally unique Platinum Signature Print Ensemble.

After completing his bombing tour in the ETO, Bob Morgan volunteered for the Pacific Theatre, flying another 26 combat missions in the B-29 Superfortress in the Pacific Theater, and led the first mission to bomb Japan on November 24, 1944. Robin Olds flew two Fighter Escort combat tours, becoming one of the youngest double aces in the ETO. He later reached legendary fighter leader status flying the F-4 Phantom in Vietnam.



I attended the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania before entering the Army Air Corps in 1940. I earned my pilot wings and was commissioned a second lieutenant on December 12, 1941, then after advanced training at Walla Walla Army Air Base, Washington, was assigned to the 91st Bomb Group, 324th Bomb Squadron as a B-17 Flying Fortress pilot.

I then flew with my crew to England as part of the original group of combat crews and we commenced our combat tour of 25 daylight bombing missions over Germany, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, between November 7, 1942, and May 17, 1943.

My ship, which I christened the Memphis Belle after my girlfriend back in the States, completed all 25 missions flying about 150 hours in combat to most of the gig targets in occupied Europe. In all we unloaded more than 60 tons of bombs, met flak and enemy fighters on every mission, received many hits from fighters but we never lost a crew member. During our tour we had almost all vital parts of the aircraft renewed or replaced at some point, but the faithful Belle always brought us home.

The War Bond tour was fun and a big change from facing the enemy in the skies over Europe but I was itching for more action and volunteered for a second tour in the Pacific. There I flew a second combat tour commanding the 869th Bomb Squadron, 497th Bomb Group, part of the Twentieth Air Force.

Flying a B-29 Superfortress based at Isley Field in Saipan, I completed a further 26 missions over Japan and led the first mission to bomb Japan on November 24, 1944 when 110 aircraft of the 73rd Bomb Wing hit Tokyo. My co-pilot on the mission was the wing’s commander Brigadier General Emmett O’Donnell, Jr.

The B-29 ‘Super-Fortress’ was one of the largest aircraft operational during World War II and, with its pressurised cabin and other advanced fire-control systems, was very advanced compared to the B-17 I’d flown in Europe.

Designed primarily as a high-altitude strategic bomber, the B-29 also excelled at mid and low altitudes. In its high altitude capacity, one of its last missions of the war was to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. By that time I had returned to the United States.

I retired from the Air Force Reserve in the rank of colonel in 1965 having been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters, and the Air Medal with ten oak leaf clusters.

My crew and I were the subjects of a 1944 film documentary made by the famous Hollywood director, William Wyler, when cameras aboard recorded actual combat footage on our penultimate bombing mission in 1943. In 1990 Wyler’s daughter Cathy was behind a full-length feature film “The Memphis Belle” when the movie actor Matthew Modine played myself other actors playing the parts of my crew. During filming we were invited over to England during which time I stayed in Bath with my old friend Pat Barnard whose company Military Gallery published a print by the much-admired artist Robert Taylor showing a wonderful image of the Memphis Belle. The “Belle” was for years preserved in the Museum at Memphis but is due for complete restoration at the National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio.

*** *** ***


I grew up with combat aviation in my blood, my father having served as a pilot in France in World War I. He was responsible as much as anything else for my burning desire to be a pilot. He was always a strong advocate of air power and among many other achievements had been the commander of the 2nd Bomb Group, the first unit to operate the B-17. In 1940 I entered West Point, where I was able to play football successfully enough to become an all-American tackle in 1942, and captain of the Point team.

I received my wings on graduation in June 1943, and started operational training almost right away on the Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter, an experience which seemed to take forever. In May 1944, however, I was assigned to England as a member of the 479th Fighter Group (434th Fighter Squadron). There we were stationed at RAF Wattisham. We quickly worked up to combat status, carrying out a lot of interdiction type flying over France and Germany prior to D-Day. June 5th and 6th were days never to forget. We were sent out to cover the Armada headed for Normandy, and were back the following day to provide escort for the actual invasion itself.

I had still to experience my first actual aerial combat, an event which took place early on the morning of August 13, somewhere close to Montmirail in France. This involved a surprise attack I was able to pull off when jumping two FW-J90s down at ground level. After a brief but hectic fight I was able to down both of them.

Things moved faster after that. Just a couple of weeks later my wingman and I attacked a group of Messerschmidt 109s—there were between 55 to 60 of them—and had a heck of a fight. The Me’s were headed for the bomber stream. The engagement began at 28,000 ft. over Muritz Zee. and, in the usual fashion for ‘such affairs’, finished down on the deck. By then, we were close to Rostock on the Baltic. During the battle, I was able to bag three Me109’s while my wingman was responsible for two more destroyed. But what I remember most from this was the trip home. It was long, slow and cold, my canopy having been shot away. Things worked out however, and this—only my second combat—resulted in the award of the Silver Star.

That Fall we converted to P-51s, and I continued on to fly a total of two combat tours, many of them characterised by engagements every bit as colorful. Many of the operations were long-range escort missions for bombers on deep penetration missions. We also had engagements with the Me 262 jet, and many of the missions involved strafing runs on German facilities and airfields.

By the end of the war I was commanding the 434th Squadron, and had made it up to the rank of major at the age of 23. My official score for the war was 24.5 combat ‘kills’, 13 of them in air-to-air engagements and 11.5 destroyed on the ground. I flew 107 combat missions during that period.

In World War II I flew Lockheed Lightning P-38Js and North American Mustang P-51Ds. In Southeast Asia I flew the McDonnell Douglas F-4C and D models of the Phantom. Since the time lapse between the two wars was rather extensive, I have to say I had two favorite aircraft, these being the

P-51 and the F-4C.

I trained with the 434th Squadron in the US, and flew 107 missions with that unit out of RAF Wat­tisham from May 1944 to the end of the war. In that time I was responsible for downing 13 enemy aircraft, and destroying another 11 and a half during airfield strafing runs.

Soon after returning home, I joined the first P-80 jet group in the new USAF, and became wingman on the first jet aerobatic team formed by the service. 1946 was a great summer: plenty of air shows, and participation in the Thompson Trophy Races (jet division) at Cleveland, where I placed second.

My luck held, and I then served an exchange tour with Number 1 Squadron, RAF, at Tangmere. Here I was able to fly the Gloster Meteor, the RAF’s First operational jet fighter, and was also the first ‘foreigner’ to command a regular RAF squadron. I have nothing but warm memories of those times. Staff and command postings sent me to Germany, Libya, the Pentagon, back to England to command the 81st Fighter Wing at RAF Bentwaters, then on to Ubon, Thailand in September 1966. Here I took command of the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing at a time when the Vietnam war had come to the front burner.

Publisher’s note: Olds earned his second Oak Leaf Cluster to the Silver Star on January 2, 1967 during his famous “MiG Sweep”. The Third Oak Leaf Cluster was awarded for “exemplary airmanship, extraordinary heroism and indomitable aggressiveness” in a low level bombing run against the Thai Ngyen steel mill blast furnaces. By now he had replaced his earlier SCAT 1 fighter (a P-38) for SCAT XXVII, a McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II. In all he flew 152 total combat missions, of which 115 were over North Vietnam. He is credited with destroying two MiG 21 fighters and two MiG 17s during bombing sorties over North Vietnam. He was awarded the Air Force Cross for his part in the Famous Paul Doumier Bridge raid.

His career ended with, on his own admission, “the rather strange choice” of Chief of Safety of USAF. Before that he served three years as the Commandant of Cadets at the Air Force Academy. He retired from active duty in 1973, and moved to Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

robert morgan
b-17 bomber
robin olds
8th air force
robert morgan and robin olds ensemble @vbader.com


Visit Virginia’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/VirginiaBaderFineArtsGallery/
Great prices and rare finds are on our EBay store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/virginiabaderfinearts

Bookmark This Site!
Share This Site with a Friend

We Securely Process our Orders Through:
Solution Graphics

Virginia Bader - First in Aviation Art
Virginia Bader Fine Arts
John Wayne Orange County Airport
19531 Campus Drive, Suite 19
Santa Ana, CA 92707
Local: 949-836 2218 e-mail: vbfa@aol.com